The first stage of the International Competition of Student Scientific Works “Black Sea Science 2020” has been officially concluded on February 28, 2020. This competition is held annually at the Odessa National Academy of Food Technologies with the support of the Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine under the auspices of Black Sea Universities Network and ISEKI-Food Association, in collaboration with the scientific journal Central European Researchers Journal.
In 2020, the competition has been held in the following areas:
- Food science and technologies
- Economics and administration
- Information technologies, automation and robotics
- Power engineering and energy efficiency
- Ecology and environmental protection
The jury of the contest consisted of 91 specialists. 50 of them were from 18 foreign countries: USA, Germany, Switzerland, Angola, Benin, Latvia, Turkey, Israel, China, Romania, Georgia, Poland, Slovakia, Kazakhstan, Azerbaijan, Bulgaria, Moldova, Belarus.
202 works were submitted during the first stage of the competition, including 57 works from foreign universities, with 9 of them developed in conjunction with Ukrainian HEIs, 34 from ONAFT and 5 from ONAFT colleges, as well as 105 works from other Ukrainian institutions. The works were submitted from 29 foreign universities in countries such as France, Greece, China, Macedonia, Lithuania, Poland, Slovakia, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Belarus, and Moldova.
In the first stage of the competition, the jury members reviewed the submitted works. The jury of each field made a majority decision to determine the finalists (25% of the rated papers according to the rating) based on the reviews and open online discussion. The meetings took place from February 24 to 28, 2020 in Odessa National Academy of Food Technologies.
According to the Decree No. 211 of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine “On preventing the spread of COVID-19” (March 11, 2020), Recommendations of the Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine (letter No. 1/9-154 dated 11.03.2020), ONAFT Order dated 12.03.2020, all scientific and educational activities, including competitions, have been suspended to prevent the spread of COVID-19 coronavirus.
Due to the uncertainty regarding the duration of quarantine in different countries of the world, which participated in the International Competition of Student Scientific Works “Black Sea Science 2020” (hereinafter: Competition), and the impossibility of holding the second stage for objective reasons, the Organizing Committee decided:
- To summarize the Competition according to the results of the first stage.
- To determine the winners among the finalists according to the rating of the first stage of the Competition by degrees: certificates of the first degree (20%), certificates of the second degree (30%), certificates of the third degree (50%). (The order approving the list of winners of the competition No. 102-03 dated 03.04.2020)
- To publish, with the consent of the authors, the works of the winners in the proceedings of the Competition.